Caring and Loving Self
We’ve all head this over and over. Love yourself. Self-care-self-love...that could mean a lot of things, as everyone is so different, yet we are the same. I truly believe that everyone wants and needs love. It starts with our ‘self.’
Our families and our friends can bring us great joy. They can also drain us if we allow it. We have the power and the control to shape our lives. Grab the reins and guide yourself in a new direction if you know this will help you. Stay focused. Stay determined. Be courageous.
You are in the driver’s seat and you always have been, even though you sometimes let others navigate your life for you. It's ok if you don't know where you are going to have a navigator. When you know where you are going, take control. Do something for you. Here are some ideas to spark your own creativity:
1. sitting quietly
3. going for a walk (with friends, or alone)
5. enjoying a glass of wine
7. exercise (w/group or alone)
8. get a facial/pampering at spa
10. breathe deep in a quiet place (or even in your car!)
11. go to the ocean and walk the beach
12. sit among the redwoods
13. bike ride along the cliffs, thru the trees
14. go for a jog
15. clear a space just for you in your home/yard
16. sit and watch a fun movie
17. go out with a friend (lunch, movie, walk, tea)
18. meet just to talk
19. do something to make you laugh (movie, show, audio)
20. take a full day to be alone and do what pleases you
21. say ‘no’ when you feel over-extended
22. take a class/course (anything) to help your inner game
23. choose to eat better (even do it for one day)
24. start a new project that you totally enjoy
25. call someone you haven’t talked to in a long time
26. take a long soothing bath
27. light some scented candles
28. sleep during the day
29. ask someone to be with your kids for a few hours/a day
30. start painting, or drawing, or photography
31. start a journal (this becomes your autobiography. yes, your life matters)
32. put on gentle music and let it waft thru you
33. put on loud music and dance your heart out
34. say 'no' to more requests of your time
35. go to the library and discover a new old book
36. show someone love in a small way (you will reap the rewards)
37. take a yoga class
38. do something wild
39. go to bed earlier
40. drink a healthy, nourishing liquid
41. get needed bodywork (chiro, acupuncture, etc)
42. use organic scents (diffuser w/essential oils) to change your mood
43. learn a new handiwork (build something, make something you have never made before)
44. no electronics for a day
45. schedule a counseling session (or therapy) and go!
46. get more social (go to an event, especially if you always avoid them)
47. think about something good...and smile
48. write down everything that you would love to do, then pick one and start right away
49. find new ways of doing the same thing (w/food, new route to work, new path on your walk/jog/ride, reading outside if you always read inside)
50. bake/cook something with a friend
51. go to a place of worship (find what resonates for you)
52. dream about what could be; then take action
Use your creativity to come up with other ideas (did I forget shopping?!)
For many of us, the best self-care is to truly stop, do nothing and sit in silence—breathing deep.
This allows the body to decompress. If you are constantly running around crazy, this is the best medicine. Might be time to stand up for your needs. Ask someone to support and help you. Take care of what really matters. Let the rest go.
See you in town, at an event, or in class!
To your Health and Well-Being, have a Happy Love Month!
Clara E Minor, Master Instructor/Trainer, is owner of MINORSAN Self-Defense & Fitness. You may contact her here. She will help you find your #badasscourage if you are ready.